It is not uncommon for engineers or assistants to be required to replace heads and tune drums in recording studios.
The following steps outline head replacement and drum tuning procedures:
• Remove the rim of the drum and the head to be replaced.
• Check the drum shell (particularly the hoop) and make sure it is not warped.
• Clean the hoop with a dry cloth.
• Check the sound of the new head (tap on it and check that its tone is not ‘dead’)
• Place the new head onto the hoop (do not force it).
• Place the rim over the new head and insert tension rods.
• Tighten the tension rods as far as possible ...