Chapter 11. Direct3D Initialization
In this chapter, you finalize the foundation of your rendering engine. You take your first look at the Direct3D C++ API and write an initial Direct3D application. Along the way, you revisit some previously discussed topics, including the DirectX swap chain and depth/stencil buffering.
You can perform Direct3D initialization through the following steps:
1. Create the Direct3D device and device context interfaces.
2. Check for multisampling support.
3. Create the swap chain.
4. Create a render target view.
5. Create a depth-stencil view.
6. Associate the render target view and depth-stencil view with the output-merger stage of the Direct3D pipeline.
7. Set the viewport.
The next few sections ...