Updated November 21, 2019
For most of us, the one app we couldn't possibly live without is a web browser. You can do almost anything in a browser these days…but are you browsing with one hand tied behind your back? It's easy to get into inefficient browsing habits, but you might be surprised at what a little know-how about this everyday tool can do for your efficiency and happiness.
Take Control of Your Browser, by veteran tech writer Robyn Weisman, helps you discover your browser's hidden talents, increase browsing speed, solve many common problems, and configure settings and extensions for maximum efficiency. If you're troubled by ads, frustrated by ineffective searches, or confused by inscrutable error messages, this book will help you overcome your problems. Beginners will find lots of practical how-to advice, and even power users will learn tips and tricks for better browsing.
This book answers many common questions, including the following:
• What are the similarities and differences among browsers—and how can I choose the right browser (or more than one!) for my needs?
• What makes Chrome, Firefox, and Safari the "big three" browsers and why should I care?
• Is Internet Explorer still a good choice for Windows users? (Spoiler: no!) What about Microsoft Edge?
• When should I consider less-popular browsers such as Brave, Opera, Tor, and Vivaldi?
• What are my options if I accidentally close a tab or window (or lots of them) in my browser?
• How do I address the common problem of tab overload?
• What are the quickest ways to navigate through browser tabs and windows?
• Are bookmarks even a thing anymore? Should I use them always, never, or only on occasion?
• Which search engine should I use, and how can I find exactly what I'm looking for in a web search?
• How can I protect my privacy and security while browsing the web?
• How do web cookies work, and what can I do to block the ones I don't want?
• Is there some way to stop the endless curse of autoplaying video?
• Are private browsing modes truly private?
• How can I safely make purchases in my browser?
• My browser is doing something annoying (autoplaying videos, showing tons of ads, pestering me with notifications, etc.). How can I fix it?
• What can I do if a page just won't load properly?
• Are there any tricks I can use to make my web browsing quicker and more efficient? (Yes!)
• Should I be using extensions to add features to my browser? If so, which ones?
• How can I sync my bookmarks, tabs, and other browser data across all my devices?
• What should I be aware of when using a browser on my iOS/iPadOS or Android device?
This book covers popular browser for both Mac and Windows, along with an introduction to browser basics for iOS/iPadOS and Android.
Table of contents
- Read Me First
- Browser Quick Start
- Learn the Differences Among Web Browsers
- Manage Your Tabs and Windows
- Search the Web
- Safeguard Your Browsing
- Solve Browser Annoyances
- Browse More Efficiently
- Extend Your Browser
- Work with Your Desktop and Mobile Browsers
- About This Book
- Copyright and Fine Print
- Title: Take Control of Your Browser
- Release date: November 2019
- Publisher(s): Take Control Books
- ISBN: None
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …
Python Projects for Beginners: A Ten-Week Bootcamp Approach to Python Programming
Immerse yourself in learning Python and introductory data analytics with this book’s project-based approach. Through the …