A Parent’s Guidebook to Minecraft®
Is Minecraft® a game? A computerized construction toy? This book helps you understand exactly what Minecraft® is, why kids love it, and why it may offer much more than what you’ve come to expect from a game. A Parent’s Guidebook to Minecraft® is written for parents, caregivers, educators, and anyone else who has kids swept up in the Minecraft® phenomenon.
This handbook explains how to install, set up, and play the game, so that even adults with minimum computer literacy can step in and help their children–and play alongside them. Moving beyond the basics, this practical guide explores larger questions such as online safety, be it playing in multi-player worlds or posting on forums or YouTube. It also examines the social and academic advantages to be found in Minecraft® and offers realistic solutions to challenges such as time management and conflicts over computer use.
With a simple, friendly, and open style, A Parent’s Guidebook to Minecraft® offers practical help and new ways to connect with children who play this exciting and creative game.
You’ll learn to
Make playing Minecraft® a rewarding experience for your kids–and the entire family.
Set limits and ensure the computer doesn’t become a source of conflict.
Take advantage of the social aspects of Minecraft® and keep your kids safe online.
Gather supplies, craft items, and build structures.
Avoid monsters–or just remove them from the game.
Set up a server in your home.
Minecraft® is a trademark of Mojang Synergies/Notch Development AB. This book is not affiliated with or sponsored by Mojang Synergies/Notch Development AB.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1. Let’s Talk About Minecraft
- Chapter 2. The Basics of Minecraft
- Chapter 3. Fitting Minecraft into Your Family
- Chapter 4. Getting Started
- Chapter 5. Surviving Your First Night
- Chapter 6. Basic Gameplay
- Chapter 7. Digging Deeper: Technical Specifics
- Chapter 8. Playing on Servers
- Chapter 9. See What I Made?
- Chapter 10. The Bigger Picture
- Appendix: Parent-Child Computer Contract
- Title: The Minecraft Guide for Parents
- Release date: December 2013
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780133521931