“The premiere writer of management textbooks has sifted through the research to extract the truths every manager should know. This book is an antidote for the unsupported opinions handed out in many popular management books.”
Kenneth W. Thomas, Professor of Management, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, author of Intrinsic Motivation at Work
“A prolific scholar and writer, Robbins cuts through the research and theory to deliver immediately useful and essential insights for the effective management of people.”
Eric G. Stephan, Professor Organizational Leadership & Strategy, Marriott School of Management, Brigham Young University
You can succeed brilliantly as a leader and overcome the “killer” problems faced by every manager!
• The truth about building winning teams and designing high-productivity jobs
• The truth about why “happy” employees aren’t always more productive
• The (surprising) truth about what behaviors you really want to reward
This book reveals 53 Proven Principles for handling virtually every management challenge
The Truth About Managing People offers real solutions for the make-or-break problems faced by every manager. You'll discover: how to overcome the true obstacles to teamwork; why too much communication can be as dangerous as too little; how to improve your hiring and employee evaluations; how to heal "layoff survivor sickness"; even how to learn charisma. This isn't someone's opinion; it's a definitive, evidence-based guide to effective management: a set of bedrock principles you can rely on throughout your entire management career.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
Part I. The Truth About Hiring
- Truth 1. Forget traits; it's behavior that counts!
- Truth 2. Realistic job previews: what you see is what you get
- Truth 3. Tips for improving employee interviews
- Truth 4. Brains matter; or when in doubt, hire smart people
- Truth 5. Don't count too much on reference checks
- Truth 6. When in doubt, hire conscientious people!
- Truth 7. Hire people who fit your culture: my "good employee" is your stinker!
- Truth 8. Manage the socialization of new employees
Part II. The Truth About Motivation
- Truth 9. Why many workers aren't motivated at work today
- Truth 10. Happy workers aren't necessarily productive workers!
- Truth 11. Telling employees to do their best isn't likely to achieve their best
- Truth 12. Not everyone wants to participate in setting their goals
- Truth 13. Professional workers go for the flow
- Truth 14. When giving feedback: criticize behaviors, not people
- Truth 15. You get what you reward
- Truth 16. It's all relative!
- Truth 17. Ways to motivate low-skill, low-pay employees
- Truth 18. There's more to high employee performance than just motivation
Part III. The Truth About Leadership
- Truth 19. The essence of leadership is trust
- Truth 20. Experience counts! Wrong!
- Truth 21. Most people think they know what good leaders look like
- Truth 22. Effective leaders know how to frame issues
- Truth 23. You get what you expect
- Truth 24. Charisma can be learned
- Truth 25. Make others dependent on you
- Truth 26. Adjust your leadership style for cultural differences, or when in Rome...
- Truth 27. When leadership isn't important
- Part IV. The Truth About Communication
- Part V. The Truth About Building Teams
- Part VI. The Truth About Managing Conflicts
- Part VII. The Truth About Designing Jobs
- Part VIII. The Truth About Performance Evaluation
- Part IX. The Truth About Coping with Change
- Part X. Some Final Thoughts About Managing Behavior
- About the Author
- Title: The Truth About Managing People, Second Edition
- Release date: September 2007
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780132346030
You might also like
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Kafka: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Every enterprise application creates data, whether it consists of log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, …
Companies from startups to corporate giants face massive amounts of disruption today. Now more than ever, …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …