* Appeared in the Indian Defence Review, vol. 23(2). Published with permission from Lancer Publishers.
1. Xinhua Communiqué, 1 November 1950, Peking.
2. See Warren W. Smith (1997), Tibetan Nation, New Delhi: Harper Collins, p. 273 quoted from Invasion of Tibet by Chinese Liberation Army, US National Archives (793B.00/8-2150).
3. It was in the fifties that the ‘Ninth Academy’, China’s main nuclear research centre, was built on the Tibetan High Plateau.
4. In this book, Lester Brown, an American environmentalist and the founder of the Worldwatch Institute, describes China’s growth and its effect on the global economy.
5. For full article, ‘China’s Water Shortage Could Shake World Food Security’, by Lester R. Brown and Brian Halweil, ...