Just because you're responsible for your organization's web presence doesn't mean you know how to build a website. The job of planning, launching, and managing a site often falls to people who have little or no experience in web design or development. Website Owner's Manual is a book for the thousands of marketers, IT managers, project leaders, and business owners who need to put a website in place and keep it running with a minimum of trouble.
About the Technology
About the Book
Website Owner's Manual helps you form a vision for your site, guides you through the process of selecting a web design agency, and gives you enough background information to make intelligent decisions throughout the development process. This book provides a jargon-free overview of web design, including accessibility, usability, online marketing, and web development techniques. You'll gain a practical understanding of the technologies, processes, and ideas that drive a successful website.
- Secrets to a successful website
- Defining roles and evaluating objectives
- Planning and measuring your success
- Page design and branding
- Layout challenges
- Creating killer content
- User testing
- Content management systems
- Web design best practices
- Domains and hosting
- Website promotion explained
- Techniques for engaging visitors
About the Reader
Using Website Owner's Manual, you'll master the vocabulary and concepts you need to discuss how your website dovetails with the needs of your business. This book will help you work confidently with the designers and developers building and maintaining your site so you can concentrate on what your website needs to do.
About the Author
Paul Boag has been guiding clients through the process of developing websites for over a decade and has worked with a wide cross section of clients from both the commercial and public sectors. He currently runs a web design company called Headscape. When not doing client work he speaks on the subject of web design both in the UK and abroad. He also hosts the longest running and most popular web design podcast over at boagworld.com. Between speaking engagements Paul writes articles for a number of web design publications.
Great book! Step-by-step overview of website creation and management.
- Aleksey Nudelman, C# Computing, LLC
If a website had a glove box, this manual would be in it.
- Sheldon Kotyk, TruthMedia Internet Group
The perfect companion for today's multi-hat web manager.
- Andy Yeates, Environment Agency
Every website manager needs this book! Paul is witty and knows what he is talking about.
- Robert Hanson, author of GWT in Action
The Bible of website management for non-techies.
- Andrew Grothe, Triware Technologies
Table of contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this Book
- Author Online
- About the Author
- Chapter 1. The secret to a successful website
- Chapter 2. Stress-free planning
- Chapter 3. The perfect team
- Chapter 4. Differences over design
- Chapter 5. Creating killer content
- Chapter 6. User-centric design
- Chapter 7. Ensuring access for all
- Chapter 8. Taking control
- Chapter 9. Decoding technobabble
- Chapter 10. Driving traffic
- Chapter 11. Engaging your visitors
- Chapter 12. Planning for the future
- Title: Website Owner's Manual
- Release date: November 2009
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781933988450
You might also like
Web Design For Dummies® 3rd Edition
Get up to speed on the newest technologies, tools, and possibilities in web design Have a …
Creating a Website: The Missing Manual, 4th Edition
You can easily create a professional-looking website with nothing more than an ordinary computer and some …
The Ultimate Web Marketing Guide
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WEB, MOBILE, & SOCIAL MARKETING! Your expert, up-to-the-minute, A-Z reference …
Creating a Website: The Missing Manual, 3rd Edition
Think you need an army of skilled programmers to build a website? Think again. With nothing …