Ant has emerged as the preferred building tool for Java developers, automating tedious compilation, test, and code management. Many Java developers are aware of Ant but there is little documentation to assist in getting started with the Ant tool. Even experienced developers who already use some of the features of the Ant tool, struggle with the more advanced aspects. This book will educate those devlopers in these more advanced topics, and help them get more out of the tool. The Ant Developer's Handbook begins with a rapid introduction to obtaining, installing, and configuring Ant and covers all major feature sets and use practices.
Ant is a cross-platform build and configuration management tool. It is written in Java, and uses XML as its file format, thereby allowing entire development teams to share Ant build files, regardless of the operating system each developer is using. Ant can perform nearly any common configuration management function, including:
compiling application source code.
running test suites and building archive files.
moving/copying files to server machines.
interacting with source control systems.
Table of contents
- About the Authors
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Introduction to Ant
- Global Concepts
- Common Attributes of All Tasks
- <javadoc> and <javadoc2>
- <parallel> and <sequential>
- <Unjar>, <Untar>, <Unwar>, <Unzip>
- Optional Tasks
- Extending Ant with Custom Tasks, Data Types, and Listeners
- Troubleshooting Ant Build Scripts
- Performing End to End Builds on a Nightly Basis
Ant in the Real World
- The Large Sample Application
- A Standard Build Environment
- Decomposing the Build
- Ant Properties
- Standard Build Targets
- Building the Channel Component
- Building the Common Layer
- Building the Chat Server
- Building the Chat Client
- A One-Shot Build of the ChatRoom Application
- Some Benefits of Chaining Builds
- The Future Direction of Ant
- Tool Support for Ant
- Title: Ant Developer’s Handbook
- Release date: October 2002
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 0672324261
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
The Definitive Guide to Java Platform Best Practices–Updated for Java 7, 8, and 9 Java has …
Java Cookbook, 4th Edition
Java continues to grow and evolve, and this cookbook continues to evolve in tandem. With this …