4. Getting to Know Windows 8
In This Chapter
• Introducing Microsoft Windows
• Starting and Logging into Windows 8
• Working Your Way Around the Start Screen
• Displaying the Traditional Desktop
• Learning Important Mouse Operations
• Learning Important Touchscreen Operations
As you learned in Chapter 1, “How Personal Computers Work,” the software and operating system make your hardware work. The operating system for most personal computers is Microsoft Windows, and you need to know how to use Windows to use your PC. Windows pretty much runs your computer for you; if you don’t know your way around Windows, you won’t be able to do much of anything on your new PC.
Get Computer Basics Absolute Beginner’s Guide, Windows 8 Edition, Sixth Edition now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.