The charter is a critical document for a data governance program. It has several purposes:
1) Set out the operating framework
2) Document the purpose and objectives of the program
3) Identify the various components, such as councils or sponsors
4) Establish the level of authority the DG operating bodies will have
5) Identify the type of federation
6) Identify the names of participants
Consider that you may need a charter for each “layer” of your operating framework. A separate charter for sponsors, councils, and forums might be necessary in larger organizations.
The charter is a living document, and should adapt to the growth and changes in data governance as the program evolves. Below ...