Implement DevOps for Salesforce and explore its features
- Learn DevOps principles and techniques for enterprise operations in Salesforce
- Implement Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery using tools such as Jenkins and Ant script
- Use the Force.com Migration Tool and Git to achieve versioning in Salesforce
Salesforce is one of the top CRM tools used these days, and with its immense functionalities and features, it eases the functioning of an enterprise in various areas of sales, marketing, and finance, among others. Deploying Salesforce applications is a tricky event, and it can get quite taxing for admins and consultants. This book addresses all the problems that you might encounter while trying to deploy your applications and shows you how to resort to DevOps to take these challenges head on.
Beginning with an overview of the development and delivery process of a Salesforce app, DevOps for Salesforce covers various types of sandboxing and helps you understand when to choose which type. You will then see how different it is to deploy with Salesforce as compared to deploying with another app. You will learn how to leverage a migration tool and automate deployment using the latest and most popular tools in the ecosystem. This book explores topics such as version control and DevOps techniques such as Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and testing. Finally, the book will conclude by showing you how to track bugs in your application changes using monitoring tools and how to quantify your productivity and ROI.
By the end of the book, you will have acquired skills to create, test, and effectively deploy your applications by leveraging the features of DevOps.
What you will learn
- Implement DevOps for Salesforce and understand the benefits it offers
- Abstract the features of Force.com MigrationTool to migrate and retrieve metadata
- Develop your own CI/CD Pipeline for Salesforce project
- Use Qualitia to perform scriptless automation for Continuous Testing
- Track application changes using Bugzilla
- Apply Salesforce best practices to implement DevOps
Who this book is for
If you are a Salesforce developer, consultant, or manager who wants to learn DevOps tools and set up pipelines for small as well as large Salesforce projects, this book is for you.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright and Credits
- Packt Upsell
Salesforce Development and Delivery Process
- The typical Salesforce development process (without DevOps)
- Traditional deployment
- Eclipse for Salesforce development
- Technical and business challenges
- DevOps for Salesforce?
Applying DevOps to Salesforce Applications
- The need for a DevOps process in Salesforce development
- The differences between DevOps for Salesforce and other tech stacks
- Example – the typical DevOps process for a Java development stack
Deployment in Salesforce
- What is deployment with reference to DevOps?
- Deployment in Salesforce
- Deployment using the Ant Migration Tool
- Using the Force.com IDE to deploy Apex
- Installing Salesforce DX plugins to Visual Studio Code
Introduction to the Force.com Migration Tool
- What the Force.com Migration Tool is?
- Setting up the Force.com Migration Tool
- Retrieving metadata from a sandbox
- Deploying metadata on a sandbox
- Deleting files/components from a Salesforce organization using destructiveChanges.xml
- How the Force.com tool helps developers and DevOps
- What is meant by SCVS?
- Version control in Salesforce
- Introduction to Git
- Setting up a GitLab server on a Linux instance
- Installing the GitLab server
- Creating your first project in GitLab
- Working with a Git repository
- Viewing the commit history
- Adding a user to GitLab
- Branching strategy
- Handling branches using the Git CLI
- Merging changes from develop to master
- Using Git in the Eclipse IDE
- Continuous Integration
- What is code quality?
- Executing Apex tests in a deployment using Jenkins
- What is continuous testing?
- Introducing Selenium
- Introducing Qualitia
- Tracking Application Changes and the ROI of Applying DevOps to Salesforce
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: DevOps for Salesforce
- Release date: September 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788833349
You might also like
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …
Kafka: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Every enterprise application creates data, whether it consists of log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, …