Book descriptionMaking progress on complex, problematic situations requires a new approach to working together: transformative facilitation, a structured and creative process for removing the obstacles to fluid forward movement.
It is becoming less straightforward for people to move forward together. They face increasing complexity and decreasing control. They need to work with more people from across more divides. In such situations, the most common ways of advancing—some people telling others what to do, or everyone just doing what they think they need to—aren't adequate.
One better way is through facilitating. But the most common approaches to facilitating—bossy vertical directing from above or collegial horizontal accompanying from alongside—aren't adequate. They often leave the participants frustrated and yearning for breakthrough.
This book describes a new approach: transformative facilitation. It doesn't choose either the bossy vertical or the collegial horizontal approach: it cycles back and forth between them. Rather than forcing or cajoling, the facilitator removes the obstacles that stand in the way of people contributing and connecting equitably. It enables people to bring their whole selves to the process.
This book is for anyone who helps people work together to transform their situation, be it a professional facilitator, manager, consultant, coach, chairperson, organizer, mediator, stakeholder, or friend. It offers a broad and bold vision of the contribution that facilitation can make to helping people collaborate to make progress.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: “You Are Removing the Obstacles to the Expression of the Mystery!”
PART 1: The Theory of Transformative Facilitation
- 1: Facilitation Helps People Collaborate to Create Change
- 2: Conventional Vertical and Horizontal Facilitation Both Constrain Collaboration
- 3: Unconventional Transformative Facilitation Breaks through Constraints
- 4: The Facilitator Enables Breakthrough by Making Ten Moves
- 5: The Facilitator Knows What Move to Make Next by Paying Attention
PART 2: The Practice of Transformative Facilitation
- 6: How Do We See our Situation? Advocating and Inquiring
- 7: How Do We Define Success? Concluding and Advancing
- 8: How Do We Get from Here to There? Mapping and Discovering
- 9: How Do We Decide Who Does What? Directing and Accompanying
- 10: How Do We Understand Our Role? Standing Outside and Inside
- Conclusion: Removing the Obstacles to Love, Power, and Justice
- A Map of Transformative Facilitation
- About the Author
- About Reos Partners
- Discussion Guide
- Title: Facilitating Breakthrough
- Release date: August 2021
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781523092062
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …