This chapter describes the functions and operations of intrusion detection systems (IDS) and intrusion prevention systems (IPS). This chapter will introduce you to
• The fundamentals of intrusion prevention, comparing IDS and IPS
• The building blocks of IPS, introducing the underlying technologies and deployment options
• The use of signatures in intrusion prevention, highlighting the benefits and drawbacks
• The need for IPS alarm monitoring, evaluating the options for event managers
• Analyzing the design considerations in deploying IPS
Intrusion detection system (IDS) and intrusion prevention system (IPS) solutions form an integral part of a robust network defense solution. Maintaining ...