Book DescriptionThis book examines the various types of literacy that are important in the Digital Age of rapid technological change and proliferating information resources in a variety of formats. According to the American Library Association (www.ala.org), “information literacy is a set of abilities requiring individuals to recognize when information is needed and have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information. Information literacy forms the basis for lifelong learning and is common to all disciplines, to all learning environments, and to all levels of education. Information literacy is an umbrella term that includes a variety of specific competencies: cultural literacy, library literacy, computer literacy, network literacy, and media literacy. Each topic addressed in the book includes contextual background information, basic concepts, a resource list, exercises and activities to reinforce the important learning concepts addressed in each chapter.
- Based on content, resources, assignments, and exercises developed for an academic information literacy course
- In addition to scholarly content on particular topics, each chapter will include practical applications and activities related to information literacy concepts
Table of Contents
- Cover image
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- List of figures and tables
- List of abbreviations
- About the authors
- Chapter 1: What is information literacy?
- Chapter 2: Cultural literacy
- Chapter 3: Library literacy: history, types, and roles
Chapter 4: Library literacy: information sources, classification systems
- Information source types
- What primary sources can be found in libraries?
- What secondary and tertiary sources can be found in libraries?
- How are resources organized and arranged in a library or archive?
- How are resources classified and cataloged in a library or archive?
- How can one search for materials in a library or archive?
- Chapter 5: Ethical literacy: scholarly communication and the academic code of conduct
- Chapter 6: Network literacy: database searching
- Chapter 7: Computer literacy: computer hardware and software
- Chapter 8: Network literacy: the Internet and the World Wide Web
- Chapter 9: Media literacy and visual literacy
- Chapter 10: Government literacy
- Chapter 11: Financial literacy
- Chapter 12: Writing a research paper
- Chapter 13: Conclusion
- Appendix 1: Information Competency Assessment Instrument
- Appendix 2: Information Literacy Assessment Trial Study of Students in the 11th Grade in Mississippi
- Appendix 3: An Examination of the Scholarly Literature Related to School Libraries and Their Impact on Student Achievement
- Appendix 4: A Bibliometric Analysis of Scholarly Literature Related to Information Literacy and Critical Thinking
- Title: Information Literacy in the Digital Age
- Release date: July 2010
- Publisher(s): Chandos Publishing
- ISBN: 9781780630359