Book descriptionMusic theory? No such thing. Let - It’s Music, Not Theory, Damn It! - and companion online ear training course prove it. Skip the brain-numbing clutter found in music theory books and jump directly into the inner workings of music. Written for songwriters, players, and aspiring producers at SAE Institute media school, this DIY book and three-hour audio course (included in the price!) deliver just what you need. The approach is clear, accurate, and fun. Never dumbed down. From basics of pitch and rhythm, through scales and melody, to chords, chord progression and song analysis, this book shows lovers of music there’s nothing theoretical about this magical art. Author Bill Gordon is a Berklee graduate who has devoted his forty-year career to playing, composing and teaching music in every conceivable venue, allowing him to hone and present the architecture and structure of music in a pragmatic, practical, humorous way that can be put to immediate use by beginners, pros, and the simply curious.
Table of contents
- 1. How To Use This Book
- 2. A Broad Overview of Music Structure
- 3. PITCH
- 4. RHYTHM
- 5. HARMONY
- 6. The Importance of Analyzing Songs You Love (Song Deconstruction)
- 7. Miscellaneous Music Terms
- 8. Music Notation: A Crash Course
- 9. Instead of Notation
10. HOW’S, WHY’S, AND OTHER STUFF
- - Why This Book
- - Pitch, Note, and Tone
- - What’s a Step?
- - The Power of the Half-Step
- - Some Music Myths
- - The Myth That Music is Math
- - Why Are Scales Spelled Like They Are?
- - The Myth that the Cycles of 4ths & 5ths are THE Answer to Everything Music
- - Modes
- - Solfege: Soul what?!
- - Melodies to Play and Solfege
- - Natural Melodic Tendencies in a Scale
- - Why Roman Numerals?
- - Vertical, Horizontal
- - Compositional Textures
- - Voice-Leading and the Importance of Knowing Chord Inversions
- - Another Music Myth
- - The Myth of I IV V
- - But How Do I Find the Right Chords for My Song?
- - The Job of the Dominant 7th Chord
- - The Harmonic Series
- - Color Tones
- - Do you really want to play well?
- - Pitch Frequency Chart
- 11. Vocabulary
- 12. Books, Movies, and Other Resources
- 13. The End?
- Bonus Material
- About the Author
- Title: It’s Music, Not Theory, Damn It!
- Release date: January 2016
- Publisher(s): Kohler Music Press
- ISBN: None
You might also like
Guide to Essential Math, 2nd Edition
This book reminds students in junior, senior and graduate level courses in physics, chemistry and engineering …
Idiot's Guides: Mixing Music breaks down all the complex jargon for beginners and discussing a blend …
Logic Pro X 10.4 - Apple Pro Training Series: Professional Music Production
Record, arrange, mix, produce, and polish your audio files with this best-selling, Apple-certified guide to Logic …
C++ Crash Course
Upgrade your Code with C++ C++ is one of the most widely used languages for real-world …