1. Niccold Machiavelli, The Prince.
2. Marvin Bower and C. Lee Walton, Jr., “Gearing a Business to the Future,” in Challenge to Leadership (New York: The Conference Board, 1973), p. 126.
3. For recent evidence on the frequency of changes, see Stephen A. Allen, “Organizational Choice and General Influence Networks for Diversified Companies,” Academy of Management Journal (September 1978): 341.
4. For example, see Robert A. Luke, Jr., “A Structural Approach to Organizational Change,” Journal of Applied Behavioral Science (September-October 1973): 611.
5. For a discussion of power and politics in corporations, see Abraham Zaleznik and Manfred F. R. Kets de Vries, Power and the Corporate Mind (Boston: ...