Practical Android 4 Games Development continues your journey to becoming a hands-on Android game apps developer. This title guides you through the process of designing and developing game apps that work on both smartphones and tablets, thanks to the new Android SDK 4.0 which merges the User Interface and Experience APIs and more.
The author, J.F. DiMarzio, has written eight books, including Android: A Programmer's Guide—the first Android book approved by Google—recently updated and translated for sale in Japan. He has an easy-to-read, concise, and logical writing style that is well suited for teaching complex technologies like the Java-based Android.
From 2D-based casual games to 3D OpenGL-based first-person shooters, you find that learning how to create games on the fastest growing mobile platform has never been easier.
Create 2D and 3D games for Android 4.0 phones and tablets such and the Motorola Xoom
Build your own reusable "black box" for game development
Easy-to-follow examples make creating the sample games a hands-on experience
What you'll learn
How to design and develop compelling 2D and 3D games
How to create rich environments and characters
How to do collision detection
How to add realism to your games with basic game physics
How to create a gaming "black box" that can be reused
How to play your games on Android phones and tablets
Who this book is for
This book is for aspiring Android game app developers who are ready to move beyond beginning level books or tutorials on Android game building.
Table of Contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewers
- About the Game Graphics Designer
Part I: Planning and Creating 2D Games
- Chapter 1: Welcome to Android Gaming
- Chapter 2: Star Fighter: A 2-D Shooter
- Chapter 3: Press Start: Making a Menu
- Chapter 4: Drawing The Environment
- Chapter 5: Creating Your Character
- Chapter 6: Adding the Enemies
- Chapter 7: Adding Basic Enemy Artificial Intelligence
- Chapter 8: Defend Yourself!
- Chapter 9: Publishing Your Game
Part II: Creating 3D Games
- Chapter 10: Blob Hunter: Creating 3-D Games
- Chapter 11: Creating an Immersive Environment
- Chapter 12: Navigating the 3-D Environment
- Title: Practical Android 4 Games Development
- Release date: December 2011
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430240297