In this groundbreaking book, business guru David Apgar helps leaders pinpoint which information matters most for successful goal setting, strategy, and bottom-line performance. Based on simple and easy-to-implement practices, Relevance outlines a new discipline focused on the relevance of performance measures for assessing key strategy issues and accelerating learning. David Apgar's practices are grounded in solid business research and clearly illustrated with real-life examples from top-performing companies such as Toyota, Alcoa, Nestlé, Capital One, Cisco, Microsoft, and GE.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Introduction: THE END OF THE INFORMATION REVOLUTION
- 1: GROWING TO LEARN
- 2: GOALS, ASSUMPTIONS, AND THE EIGHT-LINE STRATEGY
- 3: KNOWING WHAT MATTERS
- 4: KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS AND THE METRICS MATRIX
- 5: THREE KINDS OF PERFORMANCE GAPS AND THE STRATEGY REVIEW
- 6: PLANNING TO EVOLVE
Conclusion: THE BEGINNING OF THE RELEVANCE REVOLUTION
- 1. How Is Organizational Learning Related to Growth?
- 2. What's Wrong with Balanced Scorecards, and What's the Alternative?
- 3. How Should We Set Performance Goals?
- 4. How Do Testable Strategies Help Us Learn from Experience?
- 5. Which Metrics Matter?
- 6. How Can We Measure Relevance?
- 7. What Kinds of Acquisitions Are Relevant to Our Business?
- 8. Are Forecasts Necessary?
- 9. Why Do Traditional Performance Reviews Destroy Morale?
- 10. What's the Relation Between Performance Volatility and Compensation?
- 11. What Does Relevance Have to Do with Leadership?
- 12. What's a Relevance Revolution?
- The Author
- Title: Relevance: Hitting Your Goals by Knowing What Matters
- Release date: April 2008
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780787997595