LESSON 1Getting Started with SQL
Welcome to your first lesson in teaching yourself SQL. This lesson will start your learning with a brief history of SQL and databases and will provide you with a foundation that will help you through the rest of the book. More specifically, you will learn the following:
• The history of SQL and databases.
• Dr. Codd’s 12 rules for a relational database model.
• How to design a database structure.
• Popular SQL implementations.
• Why open database connectivity (ODBC) is important.
A Brief History of SQL
The history of SQL began in an IBM laboratory in San Jose, California, where SQL was developed in the late 1970s. The acronym SQL stands for Structured Query Language, and the language itself is often referred ...