From principle to practice, get it all in the revised edition of the comprehensive introduction to typography.
Type Rules: The Designer's Guide to Professional Typography, 3rd Edition is an up-to-date, thorough introduction to the principles and practices of typography. From the fundamentals to cutting-edge applications, this edition has everything today's serious designer needs to use type effectively. Dozens of exercises reinforce authoritative coverage on such topics as how to select the appropriate type for the job, how to set type like a pro, how to avoid common mistakes, and how to design a typeface, as well as how to fully harness the power of major design packages such as InDesign? and QuarkXPress? -- with new coverage of their latest versions.
This edition includes:
New information on OpenType, font management utilities, font web sites, and interactive typography.
An expanded?history of type and an updated glossary of key terms.
Exercises throughout to help reinforce the concepts presented in the book.
A wealth of tried-and-true as well as recently developed type tips.
More in-depth type issues, including scaling logos.
"I've purchased and read just about every book on typography written over the last twenty-five years. Ilene Strizver's Type Rules is one of the best. It's a book that will prove its value time and again."
-- Allan Haley, Director of Words and Letters, Monotype Imaging
"Type Rules is a must-have book for students and professionals alike. I highly recommend it."
-- Prof. Ed Benguiat, world-renowned type designer and educator, School of Visual Arts
Table of contents
- 1. A BRIEF HISTORY OF TYPE
- 2. FROM METAL TO MAC: UNDERSTANDING FONT TECHNOLOGY
- 3. WHAT MAKES A TYPEFACE LOOK THE WAY IT DOES?
4. SELECTING THE RIGHT TYPE FOR THE JOB
- 4.1. DESIGN GOALS
- 4.2. LEGIBILITY AND READABILITY
- 4.3. WHAT MAKES A GOOD TYPEFACE?
- 4.4. TEXT VS. DISPLAY
- 4.5. SCRIPT, CALLIGRAPHIC, AND HANDWRITING FONTS
- 4.6. SUPER FAMILIES AND SYSTEMS
- 4.7. WHEN THE BEST FONT FOR THE JOB ISN'T A FONT
- 4.8. TYPOGRAPHIC ILLUSTRATION
- 4.9. MIXING IT UP
- 4.10. DOS AND DON'TS
- 5. FORMATTING YOUR TYPE
- 6. TECHNIQUES FOR EMPHASIS
- 7. FINE-TUNING AND TWEAKING YOUR TYPE
- 8. FINESSING YOUR TYPE
- 9. TYPOGRAPHIC TYPOS (AND HOW TO AVOID THEM)
- 10. FRACTIONS, SIGNS, SYMBOLS, AND DINGBATS
- 11. NONPRINT TYPOGRAPHY
- 12. DESIGNING YOUR OWN TYPEFACE
- PICTURE CREDITS
- DIGITAL FONT FOUNDRIES AND DISTRIBUTORS
- TYPOGRAPHIC RESOURCES
- Title: Type Rules!: The Designer's Guide to Professional Typography, Third Edition
- Release date: July 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470542514
You might also like
Making and Breaking the Grid
For designers working in every medium, layout is arguable the most basic, and most important, element.
Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty
The smash hit introductory design book that debuted at #18 on Amazon Hackers are able to …
Smashing Logo Design: The Art of Creating Visual Identities
The ultimate guide to Logo Design from the world's most popular resource for web designers and …
Typographic Design: Form and Communication, 6th Edition
Precise visual communication requires first-rate typography skills Typographic Design: Form and Communication, Sixth Edition is the …