Chapter 13. Why User Stories?
With all of the available methods for considering requirements, why should we choose user stories? This chapter looks at the following advantages of user stories over alternative approaches:
- User stories emphasize verbal communication.
- User stories are comprehensible by everyone.
- User stories are the right size for planning.
- User stories work for iterative development.
- User stories encourage deferring detail.
- User stories support opportunistic design.
- User stories encourage participatory design.
- User stories build up tacit knowledge.
After having considered the advantages of user stories over alternative approaches, the chapter concludes by pointing out a few potential drawbacks to user stories.