In this chapter we will explore our reluctance to introduce ourselves to new people, and discover how to improve our ability to:
• Approach strangers with less anxiety.
• Introduce ourselves with confidence.
• Make a good first impression.
• Engage in small talk that helps establish a positive relationship.
• Leave introductions feeling more comfortable and willing to approach others later.
All successful relationships start with introductions, and we all know that introductions—whether we introduce ourselves or others introduce us— are important. But many of us are reluctant to introduce ourselves despite all the benefits that flow from introductions. Instead, many of the people I’ve interviewed say they wait to be ...