Stress and Strain
By the end of this chapter, the student will be able:
- To demonstrate the Hook’s law
- To describe the behaviour of the engineering materials under different types of loadings
- To calculate the stress and strain produced in a material under different types of loading
- To understand the concepts of principal stress and strain
- To demonstrate the Mohr’s circle for principal stress and principal strain
There are certain behaviors of all materials under the influence of an external force. Stress and strain are one of the measures to show these behaviors. Stress is a resistive force per unit area, which is developed internally to oppose the external force subjected to the material. ...