There are many programming hobbyists who write 2D games but there are far fewer that grasp the concepts of 3D programming. Although there are also quite a few ¿game development¿ books on the market, few deal with 3D game development. Those that do are mainly aimed at advanced readers. This book will provide a practical, example driven approach to learning the unique art of 3D Game Development that even the beginner can grasp. It won¿t get bogged down in page after page of boring theory but instead will teach through many interesting hands on examples. Tom Miller brings years and years of 3D game programming to the table and couples that with an engaging writing style to mentor readers in the intricacies of game development. The book starts out with a crash course in game programming concepts and then progresses into developing 3 different types of games with many useful tips, notes, and cautions along the way. This title will serve as a useful guide to either current 2D game developers or programmers that want to learn to program games.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- Introduction to Microsoft .NET
Introducing Graphics, Game 1
- Planning Your First Game
- Understanding the Sample Framework
- Show Something Onscreen!
- Finishing Up the Support Code
- Implementing the User Interface
- Implementing the Player and Blocks
- Implementing the Level Object
- Putting the Pieces Together
- Basic Math Principles
Intermediate Graphics, Peer- to-Peer Networking, Game 2
- Now Let's Really Get Started
- Developing a More Advanced User Interface
- Rendering a Realistic Tank
- The Sky? A Level? The Player!
- Ready. Aim. Fire!
- Playing Alone Isn't Fun
- Finally, Finishing Tankers
Advanced Graphics, Client/Server Networking, Game 3
- Adding Special Effects
- Building Your Own Game
- The Programmable Pipeline
- Controlling the Level of Detail
- Using Render Targets for Effects
- Understanding the High-Level Shader Language
- Performance Considerations
- Title: Beginning 3D Game Programming
- Release date: December 2004
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 0672326612