In this chapter, we will introduce modeling physical interactions among objects in our scene. Topics that we will cover in this chapter are:
- Position, velocity, acceleration
- Forces such as gravity and friction
- Projectile motion
- Detecting and reacting to collisions
- Elasticity and the conservation of momentum
- Potential and kinetic energy
In addition to lighting, texturing, and other visual cues of realism, how objects physically interact with their surroundings can give credence to the believability of our animations. Interaction that does not follow physical laws can look strange and unrealistic. Of course, this ...