Praise for Brand Advocates
"Ignite your Advocates! Fuggetta shows you how."
—SCOTT MONTY, Head of Social Media, Ford
"Creating and amplifying authentic Advocates should be front and center on every marketer's agenda. This book is a blueprint for how to turn genuine Advocates into a powerful marketing force."
—SUSAN HELSTAB, Executive Vice President of Marketing, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
"Advocacy is the ultimate goal for every brand. And Rob Fuggetta has given us the ultimate guidebook to brand advocacy. Simple, clear, and filled with practical advice, this book shows you how to turn your enthusiastic customers into a powerful Brand Army."
—PORTER GALE, former Vice President of Marketing, Virgin America
"In an era of connected consumerism, advocacy puts the word in word of mouth. Nothing is more authentic or effective. This book shows you exactly how to find and engage your advocates."
—BRIAN SOLIS, Principal Analyst, Altimeter Group, and author, The End of Business as Usual
"Inspiring Advocates is one of Method's seven obsessions. Get this book and be inspired. Highly recommended!"
—ERIC RYAN, Cofounder, Method
"Fuggetta's equation for building great brands in the social media age is proven and powerful. Every hotel marketer should read this book."
—CHIP CONLEY, Founder, Joie De Vivre Hospitality, and author, Emotional Equations
"Brand Advocates is a book every public relations professional should read. It's the definitive guide to authentic advocacy."
—AEDHMAR HYNES, Chief Executive Officer, Text 100 Public Relations
"Companies aren't trusted, brands aren't trusted, and nor are your executives. People trust each other, and now they have the tools to communicate with each other using social technologies and mobile, with or without brands involved. As a result, trust has shifted to the participants. Many brands, knowing their credibility has diminished, rely on advocacy programs where trusted members of the community are given a platform and encouraged to speak. Fuggetta shows you exactly how to create an advocacy program that empowers your trusted Advocates."
—JEREMIAH OWYANG, Partner, Altimeter Group
Table of Contents
- Praise for Brand Advocates
- Title Page
Section One: Understanding Brand Advocates
Chapter 1: What's a Brand Advocate, Anyway?
- The Power of Brand Advocates
- Billions of Brand Advocates
- Advocates All Around Us
- Consumers Trust Advocates, Not Ads
- Different from Fans and Followers
- Money Can't Buy Advocates' Love
- Beyond Loyalty
- Social Media Amplify Advocates
- Top 10 Things Advocates Will Do for You
- Advocates for Life
- Proactive Recommenders
- Most Passionate Advocates
- Off-the-Charts Engagement
- Visible Advocates
- Hidden Advocates
- Active Advocates
- Brand Advocates Are Players (in a Good Way)
- Can't Keep a Secret
- Advocacy Moves Online
- You Don't Need to Own It to Recommend It
- Chapter 2: Not All Advocates Are Equal
- Chapter 3: What's a Brand Advocate Worth?
- Chapter 4: Five Proven Ways (and One Shocking Way) to Create More Brand Advocates
- Chapter 5: Advocate Personas
- Chapter 1: What's a Brand Advocate, Anyway?
Section Two: The Power of Advocate Marketing
Chapter 6: Unleashing Brand Advocates: An Out-of-the-Box Approach
- Selling with Advocates
- Trusted Advocates
- Sustainable Marketing Force
- Authentic Advocacy
- Word of Mouth Marketing at Scale
- Advocacy Drives Growth
- Advocacy and the Consumer Decision Journey
- Beyond Listening and Engagement
- The Three R's of Advocacy
- Three Major Advocacy Benefits
- Traditional Marketing Model
- The “Triangle of Trust”
- Fair Exchange of Value
- Maintaining Balance
- Betting Against Beacon
- Not an Either/Or
- Advocacy in the Online Purchase Path
- Chapter 6: Unleashing Brand Advocates: An Out-of-the-Box Approach
Section Three: Advocacy Goes Vertical
- Chapter 7: Advocacy Sells Soap (and Other Consumer Products)
- Chapter 8: Restaurants Cook Up Success with Advocacy
- Chapter 9: Advocates Shape Up Fitness Club Sales
- Chapter 10: Advocates Drive Auto Sales
- Chapter 11: Advocacy Powers Up Software Sales
- Chapter 12: Activating B2B Advocates
- Chapter 13: Advocates Rack Up Sales for Hotels and Airlines
- Chapter 14: Advocacy Moves CE Boxes
Section Four: Advocate Marketing Playbook
- Chapter 15: Advocate Marketing Playbook Overview
Chapter 16: Identifying
- Three Ways to Identify Advocates
- Asking the Ultimate Question
- Advocates, Detractors, and Passives, Oh My!
- What's Your Net Promoter Score?
- Growth by Advocacy
- Turning Promoters into Profits
- One Percent NPS, but Millions of Advocates
- Ask Often
- Where to Find Advocates
- During Product Usage
- When to Ask
- Moments of Delight
- Pulling the Trigger
- Keep It Short
- What Else to Ask
- Where to Start
- Who to Ask
- Should You Use an Incentive?
- Finding Advocates in the Social Media Jungle
- Growing Your Advocate Army
- Set It and Forget It!
- But Wait, There's More!
- Chapter 17: Energizing: Boosting Online Ratings
- Chapter 18: Energizing: The Power of Advocate Stories
- Chapter 19: Energizing: Advocates Have the Answers
- Chapter 20: Energizing: Sharing the Love
Chapter 21: Mobilizing
- Mobilizing Advocates for Product Launches
- Real-World Examples
- Advocate Seeding Program
- Five Steps in an Advocate Seeding Program
- Mobilizing Advocates During Social Media Crises
- Two Important Things to Know about Social Media Crises
- Brand under Attack? Fight Back!
- But What If There Is No Advocate Cavalry?
- Mobilize Advocates to Boost Promotions
- Takin' It to the Streets
- Other Ways to Mobilize Advocates
- Best Practices for Mobilizing Advocates
Chapter 22: Tracking
- Using NPS to Track Advocacy
- Where NPS Falls Short
- Introducing Advocate Analytics
- Three Questions Advocate Analytics Answer
- Advocate Profiles
- Advocate Activity
- Advocacy Results
- Measuring Advocacy Value
- How Much Convincing Do You Need?
- Total Advocacy Value
- Sales Value
- Measuring Sales Value Is Straightforward
- Using CLV to Estimate Sales Value of Advocacy
- CLV Challenges
- Media Value of Advocacy
- Peer Influence Analysis Model
- Media Value of Trusted Impressions
- $300 CPM for Word of Mouth?
- Another Way to Value Recommendations
- Return on Advocacy
- Z Score
- Chapter 23: Engaging Advocates
- Chapter 24: Rewarding
- Chapter 25: Energizing 2.0
- Chapter 26: Advocacy Curve
Section Five: Putting Advocacy to Work for You
Chapter 27: Launching Advocacy
- Three Steps to Launch
- Creating an Advocacy Plan
- Advocate Marketing Plan Outline
- Technology Readiness (1 to 2 weeks)
- Advocacy by the Numbers
- B2C Consumer Electronics Example
- B2B Example
- B2C Bed and Breakfast Example
- Five Secrets to Advocacy Success
- Seven Fatal Advocacy Mistakes
- Why Not Dive In?
- Using a Pilot to Inform Advocacy Plans
- Test Your Advocacy Readiness
- Four Ways to Energize Potential Advocates
- Chapter 28: An Open Letter to CMOs (and Other Marketers)
- Chapter 27: Launching Advocacy
- Title: Brand Advocates: Turning Enthusiastic Customers into a Powerful Marketing Force
- Release date: July 2012
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118336540