How do executives make decisions? Are their decisions conscious or unconscious? Can they explain each decision they make? What tools can they use to improve their decision-making process? These are some of the questions this book addresses.
During the past 35 years, as an entrepreneur and senior executive of several medium-sized Canadian hi-tech businesses, the author noticed that his decision-making processes were often based either on experience or on advice received from colleagues. Seldom were the decisions based on formal or informal academic-based methods.
There is no substitute for years of experience in any human endeavor. However, tapping into some of the methods and lessons learned from personal experience can result in useful principles for others to follow. These principles are very useful, especially for entrepreneurs interested in building their businesses or executives looking for some additional help in acquiring a better decision-making mousetrap.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1 What Are Heuristics?
- Chapter 2 How Do Business Executives Make Decisions?
- Chapter 3 When You Do Not Decide, You Have Decided
- Chapter 4 Why Technology Is Not Important—Or Is It?
- Chapter 5 Experience Counts
- Chapter 6 Learn from Your Failures
- Chapter 7 Personal Presence Management
- Chapter 8 Safety First
- Chapter 9 People Count
- Chapter 10 Quality Is Free
- Chapter 11 Believe in Numbers—But Not Too Much
- Chapter 12 The Customer Is Always Right
- Chapter 13 If It Ain’t Broken, Break It
- Chapter 14 Managing Errors
- Chapter 15 The Dog Ate My Shipment
- Chapter 16 Let Go of the Banana
- Chapter 17 Everybody Knows the Future
- Chapter 18 Complexity Is Out—Simplicity Is In
- Chapter 19 Meaningless Choices
- Chapter 20 The Bank Manager Is Not Your Friend
- Chapter 21 The Government Can Help
- Chapter 22 Do Not Quit Your Day Job
- Chapter 23 Freedom 55: Myth or Reality?
- About the Author
- Title: Business Decision Making, Second Edition, 2nd Edition
- Release date: January 2019
- Publisher(s): Business Expert Press
- ISBN: 9781948976381