Chapter 17. The Decorator Pattern
This chapter concludes the e-commerce case study introduced in Chapter 9, “The Strategy Pattern.”
• Describes a new requirement for the case study: Add header and footer information to the printed sales ticket.
• Shows how the Decorator pattern handles the requirement flexibly.
• Discusses how the Decorator pattern can be used to handle input/output (especially Java I/O).
• Describes the key features of the Decorator pattern.
• Describes some of my experience using the Decorator pattern in practice.
• Describes how the essence of the Decorator pattern is not a linked list, but a collection of optional, decorating objects.
A Little More Detail
Get Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented Design, Second Edition now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.