The Complete Response of RL and RC Circuits
IN THIS CHAPTER
In this chapter, we consider the response of RL and RC circuits to abrupt changes. The abrupt change might be a change to the circuit, as when a switch opens or closes. Alternately, the abrupt change might be a change to the input to the circuit, as when the voltage of a voltage source is a discontinuous function of time.
RL and RC circuits are called first-order circuits. In this chapter, we will do the following:
- Develop vocabulary that will help us talk about the response of a first-order circuit.
- Analyze first-order circuits with inputs that are constant after some particular time, t0.
- Introduce the notion of a stable circuit and use it to identify stable first-order circuits.
- Analyze first-order circuits that experience more than one abrupt change.
- Introduce the step function and use it to determine the step response of a first-order circuit. ...