Watts Humphrey is the visionary behind the Capability Maturity Model (CMM)(R) and the Personal Software Process (PSP) (sm). The CMM contains a framework for software process improvement at the organizational level. The PSP builds the self-discipline needed for individual programmers to work efficiently and effectively. The author's new Team Software Process (TSP) (sm) details methods to guide the formation of software development teams, to motivate their work, and to enhance their productivity.
This book describes an introductory version of TSP, ideal for smaller projects but also useful for learning basic techniques and procedures that apply to other development projects. Methods presented include:
how to establish roles;
how to conceive, design, and plan a project;
how to track and report on progress.
The book walks readers through a complete development cycle, illustrating:
how best to use the talents at hand;
how to formulate well-defined goals;
how to coordinate activities for maximum progress;
how to promote effective communication;
how to alleviate many of the conflicts that undermine teamwork.
Team members should not have to expend valuable time and energy reinventing ways to organize and run their team. By following a proven process, the team will more quickly be able to focus on the successful completion of the project itself. To help a team course apply these methods, the book provides two project exercises, with prescribed development goals and team roles.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Part One Introduction
- Part Two The TSPi Process
- Part Three The Team Roles
- Part Four Using the TSPi
- Appendix A Need Statements for the TSPi Sample Exercises
- Appendix B Software Configuration Management
- Appendix C Software Inspections
- Appendix D The TSPi Scripts
- Appendix E Role Scripts
- Appendix F TSPi Forms and Instructions
- Appendix G The TSPi Standards and Specifications
- Supplements for Introduction to the Team Software Process
- TSPi Glossary
- Title: Introduction to the Team Software Process(SM)
- Release date: August 1999
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780321579294