Prior to beginning an ESXi upgrade, ensure to read the release notes and back up the host configuration. ESXi can be upgraded in one of several ways:
- vSphere Update Manager
- Interactive upgrade using ESXi installer
- Scripted upgrade
- vSphere Auto Deploy
Determine which method is most appropriate for upgrading your infrastructure. This section will cover using vSphere Update Manager.
Importing a Host Image
Before creating an upgrade baseline for ESXi hosts, a host image must first be imported. To import a host image:
- Download an ESXi image in
.isoformat from VMware's website.
- Log into the vSphere Web Client and navigate to vSphere Update Manager.
- Select the Manage tab and click the ESXi Images button.
- Choose the Import ESXi Image button: ...