Risk Analysis, Second Edition
Terje Aven, University of Stavanger, Norway
A practical guide to the varied challenges presented in the ever-growing field of risk analysis.
Risk Analysis presents an accessible and concise guide to performing risk analysis, in a wide variety of field, with minimal prior knowledge required. Forming an ideal companion volume to Aven's previous Wiley text Foundations of Risk Analysis, it provides clear recommendations and guidance in the planning, execution anduse of risk analysis.
This new edition presents recent developments related to risk conceptualization, focusing on related issues on risk assessment and their application. New examples are also featured to clarify the reader's understanding in the application of risk analysis and the risk analysis process.
Fully updated to include recent developments related to risk conceptualization and related issues on risk assessments and their applications.
Emphasizes the decision making context of risk analysis rather than just computing probabilities
Demonstrates how to carry out predictive risk analysis using a variety of case studies and examples.
Written by an experienced expert in the field, in a style suitable for both industrial and academic audiences.
This book is ideal for advanced undergraduates, graduates, analysts and researchers from statistics, engineering, finance, medicine and physical sciences. Managers facing decision making problems involving risk and uncertainty will also benefit from this book.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Chapter 1: What is a risk analysis?
- chapter 2: What is risk?
- Chapter 3: The risk analysis process: planning
- Chapter 4: The risk analysis process: risk assessment
- Chapter 5: The risk analysis process: risk treatment
- Chapter 6: Risk analysis methods
- Chapter 7: Safety measures for a road tunnel
- Chapter 8: Risk analysis process for an offshore installation
- Chapter 9: Production assurance
- Chapter 10: Risk analysis process for a cash depot
- Chapter 11: Risk analysis process for municipalities
- Chapter 12: Risk analysis process for the entire enterprise
Chapter 13: Discussion
- 13.1 Risk analysis as a decision support tool
- 13.2 Risk is more than the calculated probabilities and expected values
- 13.3 Risk analysis has both strengths and weaknesses
- 13.4 Reflection on approaches, methods and results
- 13.5 Limitations of the causal chain approach
- 13.6 Risk perspectives
- 13.7 Scientific basis
- 13.8 The implications of the limitations of risk assessment
- 13.9 Critical systems and activities
- 13.10 On the difference between risk as seen from the perspectives of the analysts and management
- 13.11 Conclusions
- Appendix A: Probability calculus and statistics
- Appendix B: Introduction to reliability analysis
- Appendix C: Approach for selecting risk analysis methods
- Appendix D: Terminology
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Risk Analysis, 2nd Edition
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119057796
You might also like
Risk Assessment, 2nd Edition
Risk Assessment Explore the fundamentals of risk assessment with references to the latest standards, methodologies, and …
Risk Assessment, 2nd Edition
Introduces risk assessment with key theories, proven methods, and state-of-the-art applications Risk Assessment: Theory, Methods, and …
Operational Risk Management, 2nd Edition
Identify, assess, and mitigate operational risk with this practical and authoritative guide In the newly revised …
The Essentials of Risk Management, Second Edition, 2nd Edition
The essential guide to quantifying risk vs. return has been updated to reveal the newest, most …