Maybe the reason so many well-intentioned management initiatives fall short is because typical "best practice" methods only help managers avoid failure, rather than produce genuinely spectacular results. Jane Linder proposes a new way of managing. Based on her study of more than 40 wildly successful projects, she has identified five characteristics that fly in the face of conventional practice:
Make Space – Allow the project to grow and develop in unpredictable ways.
Get it Right – Insist on finding the right answers to the toughest questions.
Make a Difference – Reach beyond your grasp to accomplish the impossible.
Energize People – Create an emotional environment filled with challenge.
Spiral Up – Don’t stop with a single achievement; use it as a step to greater success.
From developing a virtual reality simulator for underwater mining equipment to saving an Ohio oil refinery from closure, Spiral Up presents accounts of everyday project champions who have produced breathtaking results . . . and shows readers how to do the same.
Table of Contents
- 1. Concrete Slippers or Helium Hightops: The Management Secrets Behind Wildly Successful Initiatives
- 2. Locked in Lima: An Oil Refinery at Risk Creates a New Future
- 3. Secret #1: Reach Beyond Your Grasp
- 4. The Connected Revenue Agency: Stansylvania’s Tax Administration Learns to Love Change
5. Secret #2: Make Space
- Why Does Wild Success Flourish in Space Rather Than in Structure?
- What Makes Up Space?
- What Does It Take to Make Space?
- Making Space with Customers
- How Can Champions Make Space for Themselves and Their Initiatives?
- 6. The Bigger Dig: Unconventional Scientists Break New Ground in Underwater Mining
- 7. Secret #3: Get It Right
- 8. AIRNow: EPA Mavericks Show That Good Air Quality Has Grass Roots
9. Secret #4: Energize People
- Emotional Levers
- The Interpersonal Foundation
- Managing the Emotional Field Over Time
- 10. Coplink: An Unconventional Collaboration Revolutionizes Law Enforcement
- 11. Secret #5: Spiral Up
- 12. Working Wonders: Putting the Pieces Together
- Title: Spiral Up: ... and Other Management Secrets Behind Wildly Successful Initiatives
- Release date: October 2007
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814409176