Chapter 4. On service discovery
This chapter covers
- Explaining why service discovery is important to any cloud-based application environment
- Understanding the pros and cons of service discovery vs. the more traditional load-balancer approach
- Setting up a Spring Netflix Eureka server
- Registering a Spring-Boot-based microservice with Eureka
- Using Spring Cloud and Netflix’s Ribbon library to use client-side load balancing
In any distributed architecture, we need to find the physical address of where a machine is located. This concept has been around since the beginning of distributed computing and is known formally as service discovery. Service discovery can be something as simple as maintaining a property file with the addresses of all the remote ...