To be successful in the business world and reach your full potential in life, it's not enough to be simply competent. Our modern, super-competitive world is full of opportunities for the go-getter, but to take advantage of them, it's essential to become "SuperCompetent." The SuperCompetent person is one that companies fight to get, fight to keep, nurture as team players, and see as future leaders in their business growth.
But SuperCompetence isn't something you're born with-it's something that you can learn, no matter where your strengths lie or what industry you work in. In SuperCompetent, productivity expert Laura Stack identifies the behaviors that build leadership skills, boost organizational efficiency, and blast high potential producers to the top of their fields. With Stack's Six Keys, you'll be able to consistently improve your performance, develop the confidence that will propel you forward, and achieve breakthrough results in your career.
Activity: The value and importance you place on your tasks and priorities
Availability: The ability to master your schedule and protect your time
Attention: The capacity to focus intently and concentrate on critical activities
Accessibility: The skill to organize your workflow and quickly find information
Accountability: The extent to which you assume personal responsibility for your actions and outcomes
Attitude: The intensity of your motivation, drive, and proactiveness
With worksheets and quizzes that help you evaluate your performance at every stage, and invaluable resources for further information, you'll be able to integrate the Six Keys of SuperCompetence into your daily, weekly, and lifetime business practices. From the sales floor to the conference room, from board meetings to informal networking events, SuperCompetent enables you to build your focus, manage your resources, and maximize your ability to deliver at every level.
Table of Contents
- THE SUPERCOMPETENT ASSESSMENT
1. SuperCompetent Key 1: Activity
- 1. What's It All About, Alfie?
- 2. Why the Heck Are We Doing It This Way?!?
- 3. Greater Living Through Technology
- 4. All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull . . . Something
- 5. My To-Do List Has 117 Things on It!
- SUMMARY: ACTIVITY
- ACTION PLANNING WORKSHEET: ACTIVITY
2. SuperCompetent Key 2: Availability
- 6. You Want It WHEN?
- 7. YOU! Off My Planet!
- 8. Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better
- 9. Savvy Scheduling Secrets
10. Stop the Meeting Madness!
- 10.1. Refuse Face-to-Face Meetings When Unnecessary
- 10.2. Cancel Meetings
- 10.3. Limit Attendees
- 10.4. Multiply Your Hands
- 10.5. Avoid Meetings on Fridays
- 10.6. Distribute Your Agenda Early
- 10.7. Set Your Meeting's Length Yourself
- 10.8. Use Online Scheduling for Outside Parties
- 10.9. Allow Enough Breaks
- 10.10. Be Considerate of Those in Other Time Zones
- 10.11. Strike a Balance on Scheduling
- 10.12. Immediately Inform the Meeting Leader of Conflicts
- 10.13. Confirm Everything
- 10.14. Journal Your Meeting Notes
- 10.15. Scheduling Meetings
- 10.16. Develop Effective Teleconferencing Guidelines
- 10.17. Sorry, He's in a Meeting
- SUMMARY: AVAILABILITY
- ACTION PLANNING WORKSHEET: AVAILABILITY
3. SuperCompetent Key 3: Attention
- 11. Don't Open That!
- 12. eBay and Yahoo! and YouTube, Oh My!
- 13. The Harder I Work, the Behinder I Get!
- 14. Socializing for Success
- 15. BlackBerry/CrackBerry
- SUMMARY: ATTENTION
- ACTION PLANNING WORKSHEET: ATTENTION
4. SuperCompetent Key 4: Accessibility
- 16. I Know I Have a System Around Here Somewhere . . .
- 17. Um, What Was I Supposed to Do Today?
- 18. You're the Boss, Not Your Inbox!
- 19. We Don't Need No Steenking Rolodexes!
20. On the Road Again . . .
- 20.1. The Plane Is My Mobile Office
- 20.2. Pack Efficiently
- 20.3. Don't Check Your Briefcase or Laptop
- 20.4. Have a Plan Before Your Trip
- 20.5. Embrace the Smart Phone (in Moderation)
- 20.6. Use a Jump/Thumb Drive, Just in Case
- 20.7. Simplify with a Docking Station
- 20.8. Access Your Computer Remotely
- 20.9. Load Up a Phone Card
- 20.10. Pick Up an Extra Set of Chargers and Connectors
- 20.11. Use the Latest Tools and Technology
- 20.12. Get EVDO
- 20.13. Get Personal Broadband
- 20.14. Carry a Pocket Folder or Portfolio
- 20.15. Finish One Trip Before Starting the Next
- 20.16. Spending Money Means Saving Time
- 20.17. Preparation Is the Key to . . . Preparedness
- 20.18. A Second Saved Is a Second Earned
- SUMMARY: ACCESSIBILITY
- ACTION PLANNING WORKSHEET: ACCESSIBILITY
5. SuperCompetent Key 5: Accountability
- 21. Accept the Credit When It's Due— and the Blame, Too
- 22. The Squeaky Wheel . . . Makes Things Better
23. Crack That Whip!
- 23.1. Procrastination: Can We Talk About This Later?
- 23.2. The Early Bird Gets the Worm; the Tardy Bird Gets . . . Eaten Alive
- 23.3. Find a Reasonable Work-Life Balance
- 23.4. Working on Mundane Tasks and Not-Fun Things
- 23.5. Put Perfection in Its Place
- 23.6. Give Yourself a Deadline
- 23.7. Just Do It!
- 24. Let's Get On With It!
- 25. Tweaking Time Wasters
- SUMMARY: ACCOUNTABILITY
- ACTION PLANNING WORKSHEET: ACCOUNTABILITY
6. SuperCompetent Key 6: Attitude
- 26. If You Stew in Your Own Juices, You'll End Up Overcooked
- 27. Never, Ever, Ever, Ever, Ever, Ever, Ever Give In
- 28. Monkey See, Monkey Do
- 29. Why Can't You Just Read My Mind?
- 30. Hello There, Pollyanna!
- SUMMARY: ATTITUDE
- ACTION PLANNING WORKSHEET: ATTITUDE
- A. Popular Productivity Blogs
- About the Author
- Title: SuperCompetent: The Six Keys to Perform at Your Productive Best
- Release date: August 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470599150