CHAPTER 3Value Stream Mapping and Process Flow Tools
Purpose of these tools
• Visually documents a process (including key data as captured on a value stream map)
• Provides fact-based process description as basis for understanding current problems (poor flow, rework loops, delays, etc.) and opportunities
• Enables teams to quickly see improvement opportunities within the process and begin defining critical Xs (underlying causes)
• Helps team see how a process should work (future state) once they eliminate waste
• Helps communicate inside and outside the organization
Deciding which tool to use
• Tips on process mapping, p. 34, gives practical tips for generating a useful process map. Review as needed.
• Process observation, p. 36, gives tips for ...