Book DescriptionGreen products have been around since the 1970s, but it's only in recent years that they've become ubiquitous. That's because savvy green marketers are no longer targeting "deep green" consumers with a "save the planet" pitch. Instead, they're promoting the added value their products provide: better health, superior performance, good taste, or cost-effectiveness. In this innovative book Ottman argues that emphasizing primary benefits -- the New Rules -- is critical to winning over the mainstream consumer.
Drawing on the latest poll data and incorporating lessons learned from her clients and other leading sustainable brands -- including GE, Nike, Method, Starbucks, Timberland, HP, NatureWorks, Procter & Gamble, Stonyfield Farm, and Wal-Mart -- Ottman provides practical strategies, tools, and inspiration for building every aspect of a credible value-based green marketing strategy. She covers such topics as spurring innovation through a proactive approach to sustainability, developing products that are green throughout their life cycle, communicating credibly to avoid accusations of "greenwashing," teaming up with stakeholders to maximize outreach to consumers, taking advantage of social media, and much more.
The New Rules of Green Marketing captures the best of Ottman's two previous groundbreaking books on green marketing and places it within a 21st Century context. Focusing on a new generation of marketers who likely grew up with an appreciation for sustainability, it provides in one place essential strategies, tools, and inspiration for connecting effectively with mainstream consumers.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- The 20 New Rules of Green Marketing
- 1 Green is now mainstream
- 2 We are all green consumers
- 3 The new green marketing paradigm
- 4 Designing greener products: A life-cycle approach
- 5 Innovate for sustainability
- 6 Communicating sustainability with impact
- 7 Establishing credibility and avoiding greenwash
- 8 Partnering for success
- 9 Two sustainability leaders that superbly address the new rules
- 10 Conclusion
- For further information
- About the author
- Title: The New Rules of Green Marketing
- Release date: February 2011
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781605098678