A BOLD NEW VISION FOR THE FUTURE OF BUSINESS, FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF THE DREAM SOCIETY.
THIS IS A BOOK ABOUT THE FUTURE.
Your future. Our future. The future of companies, the marketplace, and society.
According to futurists Rolf Jensen and Mika Aaltonen, we are currently "between dreams." We've managed to achieve many of our material goals, only to face ever-growing global competition in an ever-slowing economy. Here's the good news: With the rise of social media and online resources, consumers are growing more powerful. Individuals are exploring more options. And smart businesses are discovering more ways to appeal to this powerful new community.
Welcome to The Renaissance Society. A world-class network of ordinary people who are changing the way companies and communities interact, they are the future--and they are us. This forward-thinking book guides you through tomorrow's hottest trends to help you:
- Make an emotional connection to your customers
- Create a value-driven company that engages your employees
- Adjust your business strategy for a flatter, global marketplace
- Reward individual expression and spark a tribal spirit
- Identify future trends to build long-term success
Jensen and Aaltonen's razor-sharp predictions offer a much-needed headsup--and a major head-start--for your future success. You'll explore revolutionary ways in which the individual's role will shift from consumer to creator--much like it did during the European Renaissance. You'll find out why learning will become the world's largest industry and how services will become the twenty-first century's biggest growth market. You'll see a powerful shift in the concept of ownership, the role of employees within a company, and the role of companies in society. Most important, you'll be able to turn these fascinating predictions into real-world opportunities for decades to come.
In The Renaissance Society, everybody matters. Each and every one of us has the power to reshape the future of our companies. To reignite the passion of our communities. And to restore our faith in ourselves, our dreams, and our limitless potential for growth.
PRAISE FOR THE RENAISSANCE SOCIETY
"Jensen and Aaltonen have created a captivating portrait of tomorrow, one that inspires us to think of alternatives. Decision makers in all fields will find that this book provides powerful reasons to question their grasp of the present." -- Riel Miller, Foresight Director, UNESCO
"Mika and Rolf inspire our thinking and action with a book based on solid theory--and their vast experience working with leading international companies. It is a valuable reference for leaders in both business and politics." -- DR. STEFAN BERGHEIM, DIRECTOR, CENTER FOR SOCIETAL PROGRESS, GERMANY
"The Renaissance Society is a fascinating and highly readable guide to the future and the possibilities it holds. These are hard times for many people but this book helps to lift our sights and see the scope now emerging for a step change in human achievement." -- Matthew Taylor, Chief Executive, Royal Society of Arts
Table of contents
- THE RENAISSANCE SOCIETY: HOW THE SHIFT FROM DREAM SOCIETY TO THE AGE OF INDIVIDUAL CONTROL WILL CHANGE THE WAY YOU DO BUSINESS
- Copyright Page
- The Reader’s Manual
- Introduction: Setting the Scene The 12 ideas to launch your next dream.
1 The Material World How rich are we now, and how rich will we be in the 2040s?
- How Rich Are We Now?
- How Rich Will We Be in the 2040s, Based on Past Growth Patterns?
- The Big Nations in the Global Economy
- Boom and Doom: The Eternal Cycle
- The Multipolar World of Economic Growth—The Meaning of Globalization
- Growth Happens in Cities
- Textiles, Cars, and Electronics—Industries on the Move
- The New Global Middle Class—The 2 Billion People Market Opportunity
2 The Values of Nations: “How Are We?” Cultural differences in values, and the changes that are likely to take place.
- A Sprint Through History and into the Future of Global Values
- Happiness and Satisfaction with Life
- The Not-for-Profit Company of the Future
- The Flat Society—When Hierarchies Flatten
- New Technology as the Equalizer: The Flat Marketplace
- The Company Level
- A Look Inside Our Brain
- Emotional Market Segmentation
- Postmaterialistic Consumers
- The Spiritual Supermarket
- From Dark to Light
- The Happiness Market: The Rise and Fall of GDP
3 How We Will Produce and How We Will Consume Trends in the way we produce and consume now and will in the future.
- How We Will Produce and Consume—The Relationship
- The Self-Organizing Society
- The Us-Me Industry
- The “Handmade” Industry Is Growing
- The Under-the-Radar Market
- The E-Commerce Revolution
- The Shop as Theater
- The Shop as Factory
- The One-Person Factory
- The Augmented Marketplace
- If the Question Is Marketing, the Answer Is Fan Management
- 4 How Will We Learn? Learning may become the world’s largest industry.
- 5 Thinking About Systems The globe as one interconnected system.
- 6 The Leadership Dilemmas Leadership is about dilemmas, not just about right and wrong.
7 The Authors’ Conclusion The authors present their personal interpretation of the many trends leading us into the future.
- Eastern Dreams
- Western Dreams
- The West Between Dreams
- The East and the West in Globalization
- The United States and China: The Different Value Patterns
- The Values of the Future
- The Big Five Challenges for the West
- The Big Five Challenges for the East
- Three Examples from the Future
- Change Driven by Consumers
- Is the West Heading Toward a Real Revolution?
- The Exciting Future
- About the Authors
- Title: The Renaissance Society: How the Shift from Dream Society to the Age of Individual Control will Change the Way You Do Business
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071806060
You might also like
Brilliant Strategy for Business
In Business, strategy is king. Leadership and hard work are all very well and luck is …
Never Too Old to Get Rich
Start a successful business mid-life When you think of someone launching a start-up, the image of …
The Essential Workplace Conflict Handbook
Today’s workplaces are dynamic, so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that tension can develop quickly and ruinously. …
The Risk Premium Factor: A New Model for Understanding the Volatile Forces that Drive Stock Prices
A radical, definitive explanation of the link between loss aversion theory, the equity risk premium and …