Understanding Augmented Reality addresses the elements that are required to create augmented reality experiences. The technology that supports augmented reality will come and go, evolve and change. The underlying principles for creating exciting, useful augmented reality experiences are timeless.
Augmented reality designed from a purely technological perspective will lead to an AR experience that is novel and fun for one-time consumption - but is no more than a toy. Imagine a filmmaking book that discussed cameras and special effects software, but ignored cinematography and storytelling! In order to create compelling augmented reality experiences that stand the test of time and cause the participant in the AR experience to focus on the content of the experience - rather than the technology - one must consider how to maximally exploit the affordances of the medium.
Understanding Augmented Reality addresses core conceptual issues regarding the medium of augmented reality as well as the technology required to support compelling augmented reality. By addressing AR as a medium at the conceptual level in addition to the technological level, the reader will learn to conceive of AR applications that are not limited by today’s technology. At the same time, ample examples are provided that show what is possible with current technology.
- Explore the different techniques, technologies and approaches used in developing AR applications
- Learn from the author's deep experience in virtual reality and augmented reality applications to succeed right off the bat, and avoid many of the traps that catch new developers and users of augmented reality experiences
- Some AR examples can be experienced from within the book using downloadable software
Table of contents
- Cover image
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- Foreword to Alan B. Craig’s Understanding Augmented Reality
- About the Author
- Chapter 1. What Is Augmented Reality?
- Chapter 2. Augmented Reality Concepts
- Chapter 3. Augmented Reality Hardware
- Chapter 4. Augmented Reality Software
- Chapter 5. Content Is Key!— Augmented Reality Content
- Chapter 6. Interaction in Augmented Reality
- Chapter 7. Mobile Augmented Reality
- Chapter 8. Augmented Reality Applications
- Chapter 9. The Future of Augmented Reality
- Title: Understanding Augmented Reality
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Morgan Kaufmann
- ISBN: 9780240824109
You might also like
With the explosive growth in mobile phone usage and rapid rise in search engine technologies over …
Understanding Virtual Reality
Understanding Virtual Reality arrives at a time when the technologies behind virtual reality have advanced to …
Augmented Reality for Developers
Build exciting AR applications on mobile and wearable devices with Unity 3D, Vuforia, ARToolKit, Microsoft Mixed …
Get started on your VR journey with this detailed overview of the hardware, development processes, and …