Women and Leadership brings together in one comprehensive volume preeminent scholars from a range of disciplines to address the challenges involving women and leadership. These experts explore when and how women exercise power and what stands in their way. This groundbreaking volume offers readers an informed analysis of the state of women and leadership and offers the most informed and current thinking on
The perils of stereotypes
The importance of leadership style
Gender differences in the decision to seek leadership roles
Lessons from women leaders
"Opt out" patterns and the need for flexible career paths
Global inequalities and initiatives
Strategies that get women to the top
Women and Leadership is indispensable for understanding recent progress toward equal opportunity and the challenges that remain.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
Women and Leadership
- The Underrepresentation of Women in Leadership Roles
- Women's Choices
- Gender Bias in Leadership Opportunities
- In-Group Favoritism: Gender Bias in Evaluations and Mentoring Networks
- Gender Roles in Family Settings
- Inflexible Workplace Structures and Inadequate Public Policies
- The Social Costs of Gender Inequalities
- Strategies for Change
Part One: Gender Differences and Gender Stereotypes
1: CROSSING THE BRIDGE
- What Does It Mean to Say That Women Lead Differently?
- What Does the Record of Women in Power Show?
- What Does Contemporary Social Science Tell Us About Women as Leaders?
- What Can We Learn from the Experience of Girls and Women?
- A Room of One's Own: Virginia Woolf on Women Throughout History
- Three Guineas: Crossing the Bridge from Private to Public Life
- Thinking About the Future: Where Do We Go from Here?
- 2: THE GREAT WOMEN THEORY OF LEADERSHIP?
- 3: OVERCOMING RESISTANCE TO WOMEN LEADERS
- 4: WOMEN, LEADERSHIP, AND THE NATURAL ORDER
- 5: WHAT DIFFERENCE WILL WOMEN JUDGES MAKE?
- 1: CROSSING THE BRIDGE
Part Two: Leadership in Context: Women in Politics
- 6: OPENING THE DOOR
- 7: WILL GENDER BALANCE IN POLITICS COME BY ITSELF?
- 8: THE FUTURE OF WOMEN'S POLITICAL LEADERSHIP
- 9: IT'S WOMAN TIME
- 10: SHE'S THE CANDIDATE!
Part Three: Gender Differences and Gender Stereotypes
- 11: LEADERSHIP, AUTHORITY, AND WOMEN
- 12: BRINGING YOUR WHOLE SELF TO WORK
- 13: WOMEN AND POWER
14: WOMEN IN CORPORATE LEADERSHIP
- The Bottom-Line Study: Gender Diversity and Profitability
- Women and Men in U.S. Corporate Leadership: Commonalities and Divergence
- Gender Stereotyping: A Major Barrier to Advancement for Women
- “Taking Care” Versus “Taking Charge” Leadership Behaviors
- Counteracting Stereotyping
- Making Change in Business Organizations
Part Four: Redefining the Problem, Recasting the Solutions
- 15: OFF-RAMPS AND ON-RAMPS
- 16: ISN'T SHE DELIGHTFUL?
- 17: DISRUPTING GENDER, REVISING LEADERSHIP
- Title: Women and Leadership: The State of Play and Strategies for Change
- Release date: August 2007
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780787988333
You might also like
Better Together provides powerful and implementable solutions to fostering gender equality in your business. As a …
Your Life Plan: How to set yourself on the right path and take charge of your life
Meet the challenges of life and master your future Do you ever feel like you're just …
LinkedIn For Dummies, 5th Edition
Make LinkedIn your number one professional branding tool LinkedIn is the premiere social network for professionals …
Creative writing may be the ultimate form of self-expression. Whether the reader is a creative writing …