Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon. It is highly elastic, ductile, malleable and weldable. Steel has high tensile and compression strength and also stands wear and tear much better.
8.1 USES OF STEEL IN BUILDING WORKS
Steel can be used for various purposes in building works.
- As structural material in trusses, beams, etc.
- As non-structural material for grills, doors, windows, etc.
- In steel pipes, tanks, etc.
- In sanitary and sewer fittings, rainwater goods, etc.
- Corrugated sheets.
- As reinforcement for concrete.
8.2 STEEL AS A REINFORCEMENT IN CONCRETE
Although plain concrete is very strong in compression, it is very weak in tensile strength. So, steel is being used in concrete as a reinforcement as it is equally strong in ...