Commercializing Innovation: Turning Technology Breakthroughs into Products shows how to turn ideas from R&D labs, universities, patent offices, and inventors into commercially successful products and services.
Commercializing technology has never been easy, and it's getting tougher all the time. All the decisions you need to make are complicated by today's breakneck rates of change in enabling technology and by competitive pressures disseminated globally at the speed of the internet: Where to get ideas? Which to pursue? Whom to hire? Where to manufacture? How to fund? Create a startup or license to another? To answer these questions adequately and bring sophisticated products and services successfully to market, you need to deploy the systematic methods detailed in this book.
Jerry Schaufeld--serial technology entrepreneur, angel investor, and distinguished professor of entrepreneurship--presents in detail his proven step-by-step commercialization process, beginning with technology assessment and culminating with the successful launch of viable products into the global market. Using case studies, models, and practical tips culled from his entrepreneurial career, he shows readers of Commercializing Innovation how to
Source technology that can be turned into products
Recognize an opportunity to create a viable product
Perform feasibility analyses before sinking too much money into a project
Find the right method and means to introduce the product to market
Plan the project down to the last detail
Execute the project in ways that improve chances of its success
Comply with government regulation without crippling your project
Decide whether offshore manufacturing is your best option
Compete globally with globally sourced ideas and funding
Table of Contents
- Apress Business
- About the Author
- Chapter 1: Technology Commercialization
- Chapter 2: The Commercialization Model
- Chapter 3: The Sources of Ideas for Commercialization: Are There Enough?
- Chapter 4: Winnowing Down: The Challenge of Opportunity Recognition
- Chapter 5: Feasibility Analysis
- Chapter 6: The Project Plan
- Chapter 7: To Market or Not…
- Chapter 8: The Numbers
- Chapter 9: Organizational Dynamics
- Chapter 10: ROI: Does It Make Sense?
- Chapter 11: Big Brother and Global Competition
- Chapter 12: Looking Forward
- Appendix A: Sample US Patent
- Other Apress Business Titles You Will Find Useful
- Title: Commercializing Innovation: Turning Technology Breakthroughs into Products
- Release date: August 2015
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430263531