- Understand data warehouse architecture
- Learn about the architectural components
- Review the distinguishing characteristics of data warehouse architecture
- Examine how the architectural framework supports the flow of data
- Comprehend what technical architecture means
- Study the functions and services of the architectural components
- Revisit the five major architectural types
UNDERSTANDING DATA WAREHOUSE ARCHITECTURE
In Chapter 2, you were introduced to the building blocks of the data warehouse. At that stage, we quickly looked at the list of components and reviewed each very briefly. In Chapter 6, we revisited the data warehouse architecture and established that the business requirements form the principal driving force for all design and development, including the architectural plan.
In this chapter, we want to review the data warehouse architecture from different perspectives. You will study the architectural components in the order in which they enable the flow of data from the sources as business intelligence to the end-users. Then you will be able to look at each area of the architecture and examine the functions, procedures, and features in that area. That discussion will lead you into the technical architecture in those architectural areas.
The structure that brings all the components of a data warehouse together is known as the architecture. For example, take the case of the architecture of a school ...