INFRASTRUCTURE AS THE FOUNDATION FOR DATA WAREHOUSING
- Understand the distinction between architecture and infrastructure
- Find out how the data warehouse infrastructure supports its architecture
- Gain an insight into the components of the physical infrastructure
- Review hardware and operating systems for the data warehouse
- Study parallel processing options as applicable to the data warehouse
- Discuss the server options in detail
- Learn how to select the DBMS
- Review the types of tools needed for the data warehouse
- Study the concept and use of data warehouse appliances
What is data warehouse infrastructure in relation to its architecture? What is the distinction between architecture and infrastructure? In what ways are they different? Why do we have to study the two separately?
In the previous chapter, we discussed data warehouse architecture in detail. We looked at the various architectural components and studied them by grouping them into the three major areas of the data warehouse, namely, data acquisition, data storage, and information delivery. You learned the elements that composed the technical architecture of each architectural component. You also reviewed the prevalent distinct architectural types and how flow of data is supported in each type.
In this chapter, let us find out what infrastructure means and what it includes. We will discuss each part of the data warehouse infrastructure. You will understand the significance of infrastructure and ...