In the book Lean Solutions James Womack and Daniel Jones start out by noting that they themselves are customers with problems to solve, and they are quite annoyed with the amount of hassle that is involved in being a consumer these days. From their vantage point as customers, they have this message for those of us who provide them with goods and services:1
• “Solve my problem completely.”
• “Don’t waste my time.”
• “Provide exactly what I want.”
• “Deliver value exactly where I want it.”
• “Supply value exactly when I want it.
• “Reduce the number of decisions I must make to solve my problems.”
Let’s take a look at a company that seems to have gotten this message several years ago.
Google may be the only ...