12 Optimizing a physical system
This chapter covers
- Building and visualizing a simulation for a projectile
- Finding maximal and minimal values for a function using derivatives
- Tuning simulations with parameters
- Visualizing spaces of input parameters for simulations
- Implementing gradient ascent to maximize functions of several variables
For most of the last few chapters, we’ve focused on a physical simulation for a video game. This is a fun and simple example to work with, but there are far more important and lucrative applications. For any big feat of engineering like sending a rocket to Mars, building a bridge, or drilling an oil well, it’s important to know that it’s going to be safe, successful, and on budget before you attempt it. In each ...
Get Math for Programmers now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.