By the end of this chapter, you should:
- understand how bounding boxes can decrease rendering times;
- know how to ray trace a number of object types including triangles and part objects;
- understand why we can only ray trace generic versions of some objects;
- understand the important role that compound objects play in modeling;
- have at your disposal a variety of objects for scene construction.
This chapter allows you to start building a decent collection of object types for modeling and rendering. I’ll discuss here how to ray trace axis-aligned bounding boxes as an efficiency ...