Book descriptionThis book presents a new approach to risk management that enables executives to think systematically and strategically about future risks and deal proactively with threats to their competitive advantages in an ever more volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous world.
Organizations typically manage risks through traditional tools such as insurance and risk mitigation; some employ enterprise risk management, which looks at risk holistically throughout the organization. But these tools tend to focus organizational attention on past actions and compliance. Executives need to tackle risk head-on as an integral part of their strategic planning process, not by looking in the rearview mirror.
Strategic Risk Management (SRM) is a forward-looking approach that helps teams anticipate events or exposures that fundamentally threaten or enhance a firm's position. The authors, experts in both business strategy and risk management, define strategic risks and show how they differ from operational risks. They offer a road map that describes architectural elements of SRM (knowledge, principles, structures, and tools) to show how leaders can integrate them to effectively design and implement a future-facing SRM program. SRM gives organizations a competitive advantage over those stuck in outdated risk management practices. For the first time, it enables them to look squarely out the front windshield.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction How We Got into This Mess, and the Need for New Tools
- CHAPTER 1 Strategic Risk Management: Competitive Advantage in an Uncertain World
- CHAPTER 2 Strategic Risk: Uncertainties That Impact Competitive Advantage
- CHAPTER 3 SRM at Thirty Thousand Feet: Assumptions, Mental Maps, and Principles
- CHAPTER 4 SRM at Ten Thousand Feet: Organizational Structure, Processes, and Roles
- CHAPTER 5 SRM at Ground Level: Why, Who and Where, and How?
- CHAPTER 6 SRM at Ground Level: What Tools to Analyze and Manage Strategic Risks
- CHAPTER 7 “The Future Ain’t What it Used to Be!”
- CHAPTER 8 SRM for the Long Term: Culture, Communication, Ethics, and Integrity
- CHAPTER 9 Concluding Thoughts: Currents, not Waves
- Appendix A Strategy in an Uncertain Age
- Appendix B How to Determine Risk Capacity and Risk Appetite
- About the Authors
- Title: Strategic Risk Management
- Release date: January 2020
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781523086979
You might also like
The Standard for Risk Management in Portfolios, Programs, and Projects
The Standard for Risk Management in Portfolios, Programs, and Projects is an update and expansion upon …
Strategic Risk Management: A Practical Guide to Portfolio Risk Management
A comprehensive guide to the key investment decisions all investors must make and how to manage …
How to Measure Anything in Cybersecurity Risk
A ground shaking exposé on the failure of popular cyber risk management methods How to Measure …
The Cyber Risk Handbook
Actionable guidance and expert perspective for real-world cybersecurity The Cyber Risk Handbook is the practitioner's guide …