The formation and communication of vision is one of the primary responsibilities of a director, before ever getting to the nuts and bolts of the process. The Art and Practice of Directing for Theatre helps the young director learn how to discover, harness, and meld the two. Providing both a practical and theoretical foundation for directors, this book explores how to craft an artistic vision for a production, and sparks inspiration in directors to put their learning into practice.
This book includes:
- Guidance through day-to-day aspects of directing, including a director’s skillset and tools, script analysis, and rehearsal structure.
- Advice on collaborating with production teams and actors, building communication skills and tools, and integrating digital media into these practices.
- Discussion questions and practical worksheets covering script analysis, blocking, and planning rehearsals, with downloadable versions on a companion website.
Table of contents
- List of Illustrations
PART I WHAT IS A DIRECTOR?
- CHAPTER 1 Purpose of a Director
- CHAPTER 2 Skills Directors Need
- CHAPTER 3 The Director’s “Rules”
PART II PREPARATION
- CHAPTER 4 A pproaching a Script
- CHAPTER 5 Auditions and Casting
- CHAPTER 6 Technology and Social Media
- PART III PLANNING AND ORGANIZATION
- PART IV THE DIRECTOR IN REHEARSAL
PART V OPENING NIGHT AND BEYOND
- CHAPTER 12 It’s Open … Now What?
- CHAPTER 13 The Director’s Portfolio
- APPENDICES SCRIPTS FOR CLASS EXERCISES/PRODUCTION
- Glossary of Terms
- Title: The Art and Practice of Directing for Theatre
- Release date: September 2016
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781317364542
You might also like
Practical Audio Electronics
Practical Audio Electronics is a comprehensive introduction to basic audio electronics and the fundamentals of sound …
Introduction to Probability
Developed from celebrated Harvard statistics lectures, Introduction to Probability provides essential language and tools for understanding …
HBR Guide to Critical Thinking
Tackle complex situations with critical thinking. You're facing a problem at work. There are many ways …
The Career Catapult
We live in an evolving economic environment, one in which job security and career certainty are …