It's amazing the misinformation found in most résumé books! Scott Bennett has hired hundreds of people in a variety of industries, and he knows firsthand what kind of résumé sparks an employer’s interest—and which ones fail. In The Elements of Résumé Style, he warns against popular “tricks” that tend to backfire—and instead shows readers how to craft clear, compelling, targeted résumés and cover letters that actually work.
In this new edition, readers see that whether it’s on paper or online, the rules are the same: use clear, dynamic language—and keep it short and focused. Now covering social media, the online application process, and more, this indispensable guide provides:
More than 1,400 action words, statements, and position descriptions that help sell your skills and experience • Hundreds of words, phrases, and vague claims to avoid • Advice for handling employment gaps, job-hopping, and requests for salary history and requirements • Sample résumés, response letter, inquiry letter, informational interview request letter, references, and more • Surprising tips for acing the interview
Competition is intense no matter what your field, but this candid book’s time-tested tools will make you stand out—and help get you the job you deserve!
Table of Contents
- Preface to the Second Edition
- INTRODUCTION: WRITERS MAKE CHOICES
- 1. COMMON CONCERNS
- 2. PRESENTATION: THE READER SEES MORE THAN WORDS
- 3. EVEN THE SIMPLEST ITEMS SEND MESSAGES TO THE READER
4. SELL YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE–ALWAYS WITH THE READER IN MIND
- Goal Section?
- Goal vs. Objective
- Executive Summary Section?
- Give Readers a Reason to Believe
- Education or Work Experience Section First?
- “Work Experience” vs. “Professional Experience”
- Position Descriptions/Blurbs
- Sentences/Action Statements
- Verbs/Action Words
- Volunteer Experience Section
- Education Section
- Inventions, Published Works, Seminars Section
- Software Skills Section
- Language Skills Section
- Memberships Section
- References Statement?
- Personal Information Section?
- Artwork, Photos, Decorative Borders, and Line Art
- 5. DELIVER YOUR MESSAGE THE RIGHT WAY TO THE RIGHT PLACES
- 6. COVER LETTERS
- 7. THE FINAL THREE PRE-INTERVIEW ITEMS: SALARY REQUIREMENTS, SALARY HISTORY, REFERENCES
- 8. MARKETING TO YOURSELF
- 9. BONUS INTERVIEW CHAPTER BY POPULAR DEMAND: SCOTT, MY RÉSUMÉ WORKED! NOW WHAT?!
- CONCLUSION: YOU’RE THE CARPENTER
- About the Author
- Free Sample Chapter from Acing the Interview by Tony Beshara
- Title: The Elements of Resume Style, 2nd Edition
- Release date: September 2014
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814433935